More than 150 people have been killed and hundreds more injured in a string of bomb attacks on hotels and churches during Easter services in Sri Lanka.
Americans, British and Dutch citizens were among dozens of foreigners killed.
At least eight blasts have been reported, four at hotels and three at churches, with the first taking place at St Anthony’s Church in Colombo and St Sebastian’s in the town of Negombo just outside the capital.
Shortly after those blasts were reported, police confirmed three hotels, the Shangri-La, Cinnamon Grand and Kingsbury hotels, in the capital had also been hit, along with a church in the town of Batticaloa, in the east of the country. Around two hours later there was a seventh bomb blast on the outskirts of Colombo.
The Foreign Office said it was “urgently seeking” information from authorities in Sri Lanka.
A spokesman said: “We are aware of reports of a number of explosions in Sri Lanka, including Colombo, and we are urgently seeking information from the local authorities.
“British nationals in Sri Lanka should follow the instructions of the local authorities and check FCO travel advice for updates.”
Photos circulating on social media showed the roof of one church had been almost blown off in the blast, with the floor littered with a mixture of roof tiles, splintered wood and blood.
Several people could be seen covered in blood, with some trying to help those with more serious injuries.
“A bomb attack to our church, please come and help if your family members are there,” read a post in English on the Facebook page of the St Sebastian’s Church at Katuwapitiya in Negombo.
Featured1 month ago
UTME 2019: JAMB Reveals When Results Will Be Released
Headline1 month ago
New Minimum Wage: Group Issues Stern Warning To Governors
News1 month ago
Troops Kill Two Bandits Along Benue – Taraba Border
Headline1 month ago
Buhari Condemns Easter Sunday Serial Bomb Attacks In Sri Lanka