Headline

Firefighters Blame Careless Welding for Mandilas Building Fire

The Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service has said the fire at Mandilas Building in Lagos Island on Sunday was caused by a careless welding activity.

In a statement signed by Margaret Adeseye, Director, Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, the agency said the welding was being done to expand trading space.

The fire has since been quenched by the effort of the agency and others who responded to the incident.

The statement read in part, “The collaborative efforts by emergency responders successfully contained the recent fire at Mandilas Building. Firefighting operations now focus on dampening down the remaining pockets of fire fueled by stored merchandise. The affected floors (2nd to 7th) were managed by state responders, including Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, Federal Fire Service, Lagos Ambulance Service, and others.

“The fire originated from careless welding during the installation of a generator on the second floor, intended to expand trading space.

“Despite challenges with stacked goods and limited accessibility, responders curtailed the damage. The building, housing various businesses, experienced no fatalities; six members of the public incurred minor injuries, and were promptly treated on-scene.

“Conclusion of dampening down will precede a comprehensive damage assessment.”

Related Articles